Find a Law Firm
approved by Barnsley Building Society

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the Barnsley Building Society list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the Barnsley Building Society (Yorkshire Building Society) Conveyancing Panel

Examples of recent questions relating to the Barnsley Building Society Solicitor Panel

My lawyer is not listed on the Barnsley Building Society Conveyancing Panel. Is it possible for me to retain my family solicitor even though they are excluded from the Barnsley Building Society approved list?
You have a number of options available to you here:
  1. Carry on with your existing solicitors but Barnsley Building Society will need to instruct a lawyer on the Barnsley Building Society conveyancing panel. This will result in additional cost and potential delay.
  2. Get a new solicitor to act in the purchase, obviously checking they are on the Barnsley Building Society conveyancing panel.
  3. Convince your lawyer to do everything within their powers to join the Barnsley Building Society conveyancing panel
I am purchasing a newly constructed duplex and my conveyancer is telling me that she is duty bound to reveal incentives from the seller as her firm is on the Barnsley Building Society conveyancing panel. I am under pressure to sign contracts and my preference is not to prolong the conveyancing. Is my lawyer right?
You should not exchange unless you have advised to do so by your lawyer. A precondition to being on the Barnsley Building Society approved panel is to comply with the CML Handbook requirements (last updated for this lender on Barnsley Building Society). The CML Conveyancing Handbook requires that your lawyer have the appropriate Disclosure of Incentive form completed by the developer and accepted by your lender.
I am planning to acquire a flat and need a conveyancing solicitor in Newcastle who is on the Barnsley Building Society solicitor. Can you recommend a local solicitor?
Our service is a directory service for firms who wish to be listed as being on the approved conveyancing panel for Barnsley Building Society . We don’t recommend any particular firm.
What happens if my lawyer’s firm is removed from the Barnsley Building Society Conveyancing panel before the moving date as agreed at exchange of contracts?
First, this is a very rare occurrence. In most cases even where a law firm is removed off of a panel the lender would allow the completion to go ahead as the lender would appreciate the difficulties that they would place you in if you have ti instruct a new solicitor days before completion. In a worst case scenario where the lender insists that you instruct a new firm then it is possible for a very good lawyer to expedite the conveyancing albeit that you may pay a significant premium for this. The analogous situation is where a buyer instructs a lawyer, exchanges contracts and the law firm is shut down by the regulator such as the SRA. Again, in this situation you can find lawyers who can troubleshoot their way to bring the conveyancing to a satisfactory conclusion - albeit at a cost.
When it comes to lenders such as Barnsley Building Society do lawyers have to be pay a fee to be on the conveyancing panel?
We are not aware of any lender fees to be on their panel although some do charge an administration charge to deal with the processing of the conveyancing panel application.
I am due to exchange contracts on my apartment. I had a double glazing fitted in month 7 but did not receive a FENSA certificate or Building Regulation Certificate. My buyer's mortgage company, Barnsley Building Society are being a right pain. The solicitor who is on the Barnsley Building Society conveyancing panel is recommending indemnity insurance as a solution but Barnsley Building Society are requiring a building regulation certificate. Why do Barnsley Building Society have a conveyancing panel of they don’t accept advice from them?
It is probably the case that Barnsley Building Society have referred the matter to their valuer. The reason why Barnsley Building Society may not want to accept indemnity insurance is because it does not give them any reassurance that the double glazing correctly and safely installed. It merely protects against enforcement action which is very unlikely anyway.
I have instructed a lawyer having made sure that they are on the Barnsley Building Society conveyancing panel. Does my lawyer arrange the survey of the property? Or I've digested plenty of house buying,I note that they all recommend that you should get your house surveyed prior to buying it. When I asked my solicitor - who is on the Barnsley Building Society conveyancing panel - on this she said they don't do this and I need to contract an independent surveyor. Is that normal?
Barnsley Building Society will need an independent valuation of the property. Your lawyer will not arrange this. Usually Barnsley Building Society will appoint their own surveyor to do this, and you will have to pay for it. Remember that this is a valuation for mortgage purposes and not a survey. You may wish to consider appointing your own surveyor to carry out a survey or prepare a home buyers report on the property. It is up to you to satisfy yourself that the property is structurally sound before you buy it. If the survey or report reveals that building work is needed, you should tell your solicitor. You may wish to renegotiate with the seller. or Your lawyer will not organise the survey but they may be able to put you in touch with a local one that they recommend. RICS offers a find a surveyor service (just google it) where you can search for a qualified surveyor by postcode. As you are getting a mortgage with Barnsley Building Society you could contact your them to see if they have a list of approved surveyors.