Find a Law Firm
approved by Birmingham Midshires

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the Birmingham Midshires list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the Birmingham Midshires Conveyancing Panel

Birmingham Midshires Conveyancing Panel Recently Asked Questions

I am progressing with the sale of my flat and the EA has just e-mailed to advise that the purchasers are changing their law firm. The reason given is that Birmingham Midshires will only engage with property lawyers on their conveyancing panel. On what basis would a big named lender only work with certain solicitors?
Banks have always had an approved set of law firms they are willing to work with, but in the past few years big names such as HSBC, have reviewed and reduced their conveyancing panel– in some cases removing conveyancing firms who have worked with them for more than 15 years.

Banks point to the increase in fraud as the reason for the cull – criteria have been tightened and a smaller panel should be easier to keep an eye on. No lender will say how many solicitors have been dropped, claiming the information is commercially sensitive, but the Law Society says it is hearing daily from firms that have been removed from panels, or have other concerns about them. Some do not even realise they have been dropped until contacted by a borrower who has instructed them as might be the situation in your buyer’s case. Your purchasers are unlikely to have any sway in the decision.

Our solicitor has discovered a defect with the lease for the apartment we are purchasing. The seller’s lawyers have put forward defective title insurance as a workaround. We are happy with insurance and will pay for it. Our solicitor has advised that as he is on the Birmingham Midshires conveyancing panel he must ensure that the lender is happy with this solution. Are we the client or is Birmingham Midshires?
The short answer to your last question is that, notwithstanding the potential for a conflict of interest, you and Birmingham Midshires are the client. A precondition to being on the Birmingham Midshires approved panel is to comply with the CML Handbook requirements (last updated for this lender on Birmingham Midshires). The CML Handbook conditions require your lawyer to disclose issues such as defects will the lease so that Birmingham Midshires can be afforded the opportunity to check with their valuer as to the extent that the value of the property is affected . Should you refuse to allow your lawyer to make the appropriate notification then your lawyer will have no choice but to discontinue acting for you.
Your search tool is useful but there are many lawyers listed near Leeds on the Birmingham Midshires conveyancing panel. It would be a lot more helpful if you could recommend a specific firm on the conveyancing panel for Birmingham Midshires ?
We are not in the business of recommending one firm above another as the right firm for you depends on where your priorities lie. For example you may require a local firm with local knowledge or you might be looking for the low cost conveyancing. We recommend that you speak to 3 or 4 lawyers listed before you make your choice..
My grandfather passed away six months ago and as sole heir and executor was left the property. The house had a small mortgage left on it of around £8000. I want to transfer the title deeds into my name whilst I re-mortgage to Birmingham Midshires , pay off the mortgage etc. Is this allowed?
If you intend to re-mortgage then Birmingham Midshires will insist on your using a conveyancer on the Birmingham Midshires conveyancing panel. Here is link to the Land Registry online guidance around what to do when a property owner dies. This will help you to understand the registration process behind changing the details re the registered title. in your case it would appear that you are effectively purchasing the property from the estate. Your Birmingham Midshires conveyancing panel solicitor pays the new mortgage money into the estate, the estate pays off the old mortgage, the charge is released and you become the owner and the Birmingham Midshires mortgage is registered as a charge at the Land Registry.
For 5 years I had a mortgage with Birmingham Midshires. My godfather has just retired and wants to pay off my mortgage. After Birmingham Midshires is paid, I want to transfer the property to my mother's name; How long does the process take? Do we need two separate solicitors on the Birmingham Midshires conveyancing panel? I do not intend to live at the property once the Birmingham Midshires mortgage is discharged.
Although you do need to retain the services of a lawyer they dont need to be on the Birmingham Midshires panel. You will need a solicitor to draw up the transfer and to deal with the Land Registry formalities. The only thing you need to consider is that by selling at an undervalue so ask your lawyer about the implications. There could be an inheritance tax issue if you die within 7 years of this. As the property is your main residence you need not pay CGT but you should speak with your accountants in any event.
I am selling my flat. I had a double glazing fitted in month 2010 but did not receive a FENSA certificate or Building Regulation Certificate. My buyer's mortgage company, Birmingham Midshires are being problematic. The solicitor who is on the Birmingham Midshires conveyancing panel is saying indemnity insurance will be fine but Birmingham Midshires are requiring a building regulation certificate. Why do Birmingham Midshires have a conveyancing panel of they don’t accept advice from them?
It is probably the case that Birmingham Midshires have referred the matter to their valuer. The reason why Birmingham Midshires may not want to accept indemnity insurance is because it does not give them any reassurance that the double glazing correctly and safely installed. It merely protects against enforcement action which is very unlikely anyway.
I was told two weeks ago that my mortgage has been agreed to by Birmingham Midshires. Is it usual for Birmingham Midshires to only issue the offer once my solicitor is approved on their conveyancing panel?
Mortgage companies tend not to not issue a mortgage until they have details of a lawyer on their panel. It can take a few weeks for Birmingham Midshires to deal with your lawyers application to be on the Birmingham Midshires conveyancing panel. There's no guarantee that your solicitors will be accepted.