Find a Law Firm
approved by Darlington Building Society

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the Darlington Building Society list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the Darlington Building Society Conveyancing Panel

FAQs for the Darlington Building Society Solicitor Panel

My Conveyancer is not listed on the Darlington Building Society Conveyancing Panel. Is it possible for me to continue with my preferred solicitor notwithstanding that they are not on the Darlington Building Society list of approved lawyers?
You will need to have a conveyancer complete the legal work required when you take out a Darlington Building Society mortgage to buy your property. They’ll carry out all the necessary legal checks on the property, make sure that you’re properly registered as the owner and ensure that all the necessary mortgage documentation is in place. You can instruct a conveyancing firm of your choice. However, if the firm selected is not a member of the Darlington Building Society conveyancing panel additional costs will be incurred as separate legal representation will be required by Darlington Building Society. Conveyancing panel applications can be submitted, so if your conveyancer has not previously applied for membership they can do so.
We are due to exchange on the purchase a house but as a result of damage from the recent storms I have agreed compensation from the seller of £3k approx by way of a reduction in the price. This was going to be dealt with as part of the conveyancing process but my mortgage company Darlington Building Society will not agree to this. Why was Darlington Building Society even consulted?
Your lawyer being on the Darlington Building Society conveyancing panel is duty bound to inform Darlington Building Society of any changes to the purchase price. If you were to refuse your lawyers to disclose the reduction to Darlington Building Society then they would have to discontinue acting for you and Darlington Building Society.
Do all the licensed conveyancers and solicitor practices listed on your search have online case tracking as I understood that this was a condition of being on the Darlington Building Society conveyancing panel?
The Council of Mortgage Lenders or BSA do not require online case tracking. Some law firms operate such technology and some don't.
I was supposed to complete on my first house last Friday. My lawyer’s firm is on the Darlington Building Society solicitors panel but has moved offices 8 weeks ago and had not informed Darlington Building Society of their new address. Darlington Building Society is now refusing to release my funds as the information from the solicitors isn't correct.
This is a rare situation indeed. The majority of lender Terms of Conveyancing Panel Appointment specifically oblige the solicitor to inform the lender of an address change. Your solicitor needs to treat this with the utmost urgency. Do speak with or register your concern with the senior partner (assuming he or she is not your direct lawyer). Most lenders would be reasonable in this situation and expedite the resolution of this issue. It may be prudent to enlist the help of your local Darlington Building Society branch or your mortgage broker to see if they can assist.
When it comes to lenders such as Darlington Building Society do solicitors have to be pay a fee to be on the list of approved solicitors?
We are not aware of any lender fees to be on their panel although some do charge an administration charge to deal with the processing of the conveyancing panel application.
I had instructed online conveyancers based in Manchester who are on the Darlington Building Society solicitor panel. They have just invoiced me a separate fee of £195 for the legal aspects of the Darlington Building Society mortgage. Is this a supplemental conveyancing fee set by Darlington Building Society?
Unfortunately, as long as it is in their Terms and Conditions or Quote then yes your solicitors can charge a fee for this. This fee is not set by Darlington Building Society but by your lawyers. Some firms on the Darlington Building Society will charge an ‘acting for lender’ fee but plenty of firms include it on their overall fee.
My ex -wife’s name is on the Darlington Building Society mortgage of my property but not on the land registry. The apartment was transferred to me on our divorce many years ago by way of a sealed court order. Does my ex still have a say on the sale even though the land registry showing the property in my name alone? Will I be required to take her name of the Darlington Building Society mortgage in order to sell?
As regards the Darlington Building Society mortgage, it is unusual that your ex-wife’s name remains on the mortgage but not on the title. It is conceivable that this is an oversight on the part of your conveyancers to ensure that her name was removed or even an administrative error on the part of Darlington Building Society in failing to update their data. In any event, it should cause difficulty providing her name no longer appears on the Land Registry title and you have a court order ordering that the property is transferred to you.