Find a Law Firm
approved by Family BS

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the Family BS list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the Family Building Society Conveyancing Panel

FAQs for the Family Building Society Solicitor Panel

My husband and I are purchasing a 1 bedroom flat in Newcastle with a mortgage from Family Building Society. We would like to retain our lawyer but Family Building Society says he's not on their "panel". It seems we have little choice but to instruct one of the Family Building Society panel solicitors or keep our solicitor and pay for one of their panel ones to represent them. We feel as though this is unjust; is there anything we can do?
No, not really. The mortgage offered to you is subject to its terms and conditions, one of which will be that lawyers will on the Family Building Society conveyancing panel. Until recently, most lenders had large numbers of law firms on their panels: a borrower could choose one for themselves, as long as it was on the lender's panel. The lender would then simply instruct the borrower's lawyers to act for the lender, too. You can use your lender's panel lawyers or you could borrow from another lender which does not restrict your choice. Another option that might be available is for your solicitors to apply to be on the conveyancing panel for Family Building Society
Please assist. For no fault of my lawyer but, the conveyancing for my house purchase has been going on for months. The Local Authority Search from Family Building Society was dated random date and we have agreed a date for me to move into the property on 6. My solicitor has advised that as she is on the Family Building Society conveyancing panel she needs to reorder the searches as they are no longer valid.
A precondition to being on the Family Building Society approved panel is to comply with the CML Handbook Part 2 obligations (last updated for this lender on Family Building Society)which states that a local authority search be not more than 6 months old. You should nevertheless ask your lawyer to check whether something called ‘search validation’ indemnity insurance is acceptable to Family Building Society.
Do all the firms listed on your search have online case tracking as I understood that this was a condition of being on the Family Building Society conveyancing panel?
No. There is no CML Part 2 or Building Society Association requirement relating to online case tracking. Some law firms operate such technology and some don't.
We're in Wales, First timers buying with a mortgage (lender is Family Building Society , but our solicitor is on the Family Building Society conveyancing panel). How long should the conveyancing process take?
The fact that your lawyer is on the Family Building Society conveyancing panel is a help. It would almost certainly delay matters if they were not. However, no conveyancer should guarantee a time-frame for your conveyancing due to third parties outside of our control such as delays caused by lenders,conveyancing search providers or by the other side’s solicitors. The time taken is often determined by the number of parties in a chain
I previously instructed online conveyancers located in Manchester who are on the Family Building Society solicitor panel. They have just invoiced me a separate fee of £195 for dealing with the Family Building Society mortgage. Is this an additional conveyancing fee specified by Family Building Society?
Unfortunately, as long as it is in their Terms and Conditions or Quote then yes your solicitors can charge a fee for this. This fee is not set by Family Building Society but by your lawyers. Some firms on the Family Building Society will charge an ‘acting for lender’ fee and others do not.
I have today made my last payment due on mortgage with Family Building Society. I assume I don't need a solicitor on the Family Building Society panel to remove the mortgage at the Land Registry. Please confirm
If you have finished paying off your Family Building Society mortgage they may send you evidence showing that you have paid it off. Alternatively they may notify the Land Registry directly. The Land Registry need to see this evidence before they will remove the Family Building Society mortgage from the register. Family Building Society,and any evidence they send you, will determine the action you need to take. In cases where no conveyancer is acting for you and you have paid off your mortgage: but are not moving to another property where the Family Building Society has sent the Land Registry the discharge electronically, and the Family Building Society has instructed the Land Registry to do so The Land Registry will send you a letter confirming that your Family Building Society mortgage has been paid off.
I am selling my apartment. I had a double glazing fitted in month 2010 but did not receive a FENSA certificate or Building Regulation Certificate. My purchaser’s mortgage company, Family Building Society are being a right pain. The solicitor who is on the Family Building Society conveyancing panel is happy to accept ‘lack of building regulation’ insurance but Family Building Society are insisting on a building regulation certificate. Why do Family Building Society have a conveyancing panel of they don’t accept advice from them?
It is probably the case that Family Building Society have referred the matter to their valuer. The reason why Family Building Society may not want to accept indemnity insurance is because it does not give them any reassurance that the double glazing correctly and safely installed. It merely protects against enforcement action which is very unlikely anyway.