Find a Law Firm
approved by Investec

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the Investec list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the Investec Bank plc Conveyancing Panel

Frequently asked questions relating to the Investec Solicitor Panel

My lawyer is not listed on the Investec Conveyancing Panel. Can I still continue with my preferred solicitor even though they are excluded from the Investec approved list?
You will need to have a conveyancer complete the legal work required when you take out a Investec mortgage to buy your property. They’ll carry out all the necessary legal checks on the property, make sure that you’re properly registered as the owner and ensure that all the necessary mortgage documentation is in place. You can instruct a conveyancing firm of your choice. However, if the firm selected is not a member of the Investec conveyancing panel additional costs will be incurred as separate legal representation will be required by Investec. Conveyancing panel applications can be submitted, so if your conveyancer has not previously applied for membership they can do so.
Please help. My solicitor is informing me me that he has to conduct a Local Authority search as the firm are on the Investec approved lawyer panel. Do I not have a choice here?
You have limited options available to you. Given that you are taking out a loan with Investec your lawyer has to comply with their conditions as set out in their version of the CML Conveyancing Handbook. Your lawyer would have previously signed the Terms and Conditions of Investec’s conveyancing panel appointment which obliges them to follow the CML Handbook requirements last updated Investec. even if you were a cash buyer you would be ill advised not to carry out a local authority search.
I see that you have a search directory listing firms on the Investec conveyancing panel. Do firms pay you a commission if I retain them for my house purchase?
We are a listing service only for law firms wishing to communicate if they are on the Investec conveyancing panel or other lender panels. We do not charge referral fees to the any conveyancer that you subsequently appoint.
My uncle passed away six months ago and as sole heir and executor was left the house. The house had a small mortgage left on it of around £5k. I want to have the title changed into my name whilst I re-mortgage to Investec , pay off the mortgage etc. Is this possible?
If you intend to re-mortgage then Investec will insist on your using a conveyancer on the Investec conveyancing panel. Here is link to the Land Registry online guidance around what to do when a property owner dies. This will help you to understand the registration process behind changing the details re the registered title. in your case it would appear that you are effectively purchasing the property from the estate. Your Investec conveyancing panel solicitor pays the new mortgage money into the estate, the estate pays off the old mortgage, the charge is released and you become the owner and the Investec mortgage is registered as a charge at the Land Registry.
When it comes to lenders such as Investec do lawyers have to be pay a fee to be on the conveyancing panel?
We are not aware of any lender fees to be on their panel although some do charge an administration charge to deal with the processing of the conveyancing panel application.
Do most lenders operate their own panel of solicitors?
Many lenders do operate a restricted conveyancing panel but a lot of lenders allow any solicitors to join their panel so long as they meet their criteria. Each lender sets their own criteria. For example the Investec conveyancing panel requirements are different to Investec’s conveyancing panel requirements.
I have paid off my mortgage with Investec. I assume I don't need a solicitor on the Investec panel to remove the mortgage at the Land Registry. Am I right?
If you have finished paying off your Investec mortgage they may send you evidence showing that you have paid it off. Alternatively they may notify the Land Registry directly. The Land Registry need to see this evidence before they will remove the Investec mortgage from the register. Investec,and any evidence they send you, will determine the action you need to take. In cases where no conveyancer is acting for you and you have paid off your mortgage: but are not moving to another property where the Investec has sent the Land Registry the discharge electronically, and the Investec has instructed the Land Registry to do so The Land Registry will send you a letter confirming that your Investec mortgage has been paid off.