Find a Law Firm
approved by

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the Leek Building Society Conveyancing Panel

Leek BS Conveyancing Panel : Questions and Answers

I am obtaining a mortgage with Leek BS. I hope to use a Licensed Conveyancer. Does the Leek BS Solicitor panel exclude Licensed Conveyancers
Leek BS’s approved solicitor list is, like many other lenders associated to the CML or BSA, open to Licensed Conveyancers regulated by the Council of Licensed Conveyancers.
I am purchasing a new build duplex and my solicitor is informing me that she has to disclose incentives from the seller as her practice is on the Leek BS conveyancing panel. I am under pressure to exchange contracts and my preference is not to delay the conveyancing. Can I insist on an exchange regardless of what my lawyer says about being on the Leek BS panel?
You should not exchange unless you have advised to do so by your lawyer. A precondition to being on the Leek BS approved panel is to comply with the CML Handbook requirements (last updated for this lender on Leek BS). The CML Conveyancing Handbook requires that your lawyer have the appropriate Disclosure of Incentive form completed by the developer and accepted by your lender.
Your search tool is useful but there are many lawyers listed near Manchester on the Leek BS conveyancing panel. It would be a lot more helpful if you could recommend a specific firm on the Leek BS approved panel?
We do not recommend specific firms as the right firm for you depends on where your priorities lie. For example you may require a local firm with local knowledge or you might be looking for the low cost conveyancing. We recommend that you speak to 3 or 4 lawyers listed before you make your choice..
I was scheduled to move into my flat last Thursday. My solicitor is on the Leek BS conveyancing panel but has moved offices 8 weeks ago and had not informed Leek BS of their new address. Leek BS has locked down the release of mortgage funds as the information from the solicitors isn't correct.
This is a rare situation indeed. Most lender Terms of Conveyancing Panel Appointment specifically oblige the solicitor to inform the lender of an address change. Your solicitor needs to treat this with the utmost urgency. Do speak with or register your concern with the senior partner (assuming he or she is not your direct lawyer). Most lenders would be reasonable in this situation and expedite the resolution of this issue. It may be prudent to enlist the help of your local Leek BS branch or your mortgage broker to see if they can help.
We have agreed a price on a apartment I spoke to a solicitor previously used by my uncle and he recommended using a law firm approved by Leek BS. The estate agent recommended two local firms so I asked Leek BS if the 2 suggested solicitors are approved, which they are not. Leek BS pointed out that either practice can fill out the appropriate forms to become approved. Do I (1) save myself the aggravation and use one of Leek BS 's conveyancing panel solicitors (2) Use the local solicitor and accept there may be delays etc as they go through the approval process.
Enquire of Leek BS for conveyancing panel firms in your area. Lenders have them all over the country. You can also use our search tool at the top of this page to search for a lawyer on the Leek BS conveyancing panel based on location. If you particularly like the sound of one of the local lawyers that you have spoken to ask them if they would go onto Leek BS conveyancing panel as it may only take about 2-3 weeks. As long as they meet Leek BS’s requirements it can be a very simple job for the solicitor. Other stuff will be going on in parallel (as you are at an early stage) so it may not delay matters.
Completion of my remortgage has taken place with a mortgage from Leek BS. Conveyancing was satisfactory but I would like to complain about Leek BS. Who do I contact should I wish to lodge a complaint?
All lenders have complaints procedures. Your first port of call should be one of the Leek BS branches or the Customer Care Department at Leek BS head office. In most cases complaints to Leek BS are resolved effectively and efficiently. If you feel that the matter is not resolved you can write to the Financial Ombudsman Service who will take matters further.
Intending to buy a house with a mortgage with Leek BS. I have received an online quote from a licensed conveyancer, which states: "There will be no charge for dealing with the Building Society if you are obtaining a mortgage". I take this to mean that there will be no additional fee if the solicitor is on the Leek BS conveyancing panel. I wanted to make sure it means there will be no additional fees for dealing with the mortgage.
They are simply saying that the cost for acting for the lender is included in the fee being quoted. It is worth you checking that they are on the Leek BS conveyancing panel