Find a Law Firm approved by St James Place

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the St James Place list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find a Law Firm approved by St James Place
Find a Law Firm approved by St James Place

Find an Approved Solicitor on the St James Place Bank Conveyancing Panel

St James Place Conveyancing Panel : Questions and Answers

Am I correct in assuming that the fact that my solicitor is not isted on the St James Place Conveyancing panel that there is a problem with the standard of her conveyancing?
It would not be wise to jump to that conclusion. There are all sorts of perfectly reasonable explanations. A recent report by the solicitors regulator indicated 76% of law firms surveyed had been removed from at least one lender panel. The most common reasons for removal are: (1) lack of transactions (2) the lawyer is a sole practitioner (3) as part of the HSBC panel reduction (4) regulatory contact by SRA (5) accidental removal. If you are concerned you should simply call the firm and ask them why they are no longer on the approved list for St James Place.
We are due to exchange on the purchase a house but as a result of damage from the recent storms I have agreed compensation from the seller of £3k approx by way of a reduction in the price. This was going to be dealt with as part of the conveyancing process but my mortgage company St James Place will not agree to this. Why was St James Place even consulted?
Your lawyer being on the St James Place conveyancing panel is duty bound to inform St James Place of any changes to the purchase price. If you were to refuse your lawyers to disclose the reduction to St James Place then they would have to discontinue acting for you and St James Place.
Do I have to visit the offices of the St James Place conveyancing panel solicitor to sign the legal charge? If so, I will instruct a firm who offer conveyancing in Bristol so that I can pop in to their offices if required.
Most conveyancing panel lawyers for St James Place undertake all of the work via the post, internet or over the phone. This means that they can undertake your Conveyancing Transaction no matter where you live in England or Wales. However you should check if you can still book an appointment to go into appointed conveyancing lawyer if you prefer.
We're in Wales, First timers buying with a mortgage (lender is St James Place , but our lawyer is on the St James Place conveyancing panel). How long should the conveyancing process take?
The fact that your lawyer is on the St James Place conveyancing panel is a help. It would almost certainly delay matters if they were not. However, no conveyancer should guarantee a time-frame for your conveyancing due to third parties outside of our control such as delays caused by lenders,conveyancing search providers or by the other side’s solicitors. The time taken is often determined by the number of parties in a chain
Do most banks operate their own panel of solicitors?
Many lenders do operate a restricted conveyancing panel but a lot of lenders allow any solicitors to join their panel so long as they meet their criteria. Each lender sets their own criteria. For example the St James Place conveyancing panel requirements are different to St James Place’s conveyancing panel requirements.
My wife and I have arranged a further advance on our mortgage from St James Place as we wish to carry out alterations or improvements our home. Do we need to appoint a solicitor on the St James Place conveyancing panel to deal with the paperwork?
St James Place do not ordinarily instruct a member of their conveyancing panel to deal with such a matter. If they did require any legal work then you would need to ensure that such a lawyer was on the St James Place panel
I have decided to exercise my right to buy my property off the council. I have a mortgage agreed with St James Place. Conveyancing is not something I have any knowledge of. Can I proceed without a solicitor easily? I think we can but we keep being told I should use one. Any advice?
It is not advisable proceed with a house purchase without a solicitor. The council's solicitor are not acting for you. You need a solicitor for a number reasons. One of which is to verify what plans the Council have for repairs and refurbishment for the next five years. Many leaseholders have been stung for contributions of thousands of pounds. In any event if you are getting a mortgage with St James Place you will need to appoint a solicitor on the St James Place conveyancing panel.

Other Topics

Transfer of Equity for St James Place

Please note that Lexsure Ltd is in no way associated with nor affiliated with Lexsure Solicitors