Find a Law Firm
approved by Swansea BS

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the Swansea BS list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the Swansea Building Society Conveyancing Panel

Frequently asked questions relating to the Swansea Building Society Solicitor Panel

Is there a reason why all solicitors aren't included on the Swansea Building Society Solicitor panel?
As unjust as it may seem for Swansea Building Society to restrict who can act for them from the public’s or solicitor’s point of view, the other side of the coin is that the lenders are becoming ever more anxious and feel the necessary need to protect them from mortgage fraud and other illegal activities. As a result of this concern Swansea Building Society are limiting their conveyancing panel to a manageable size. The Swansea Building Society conveyancing panel is not the most difficult to join
I do hope you can help me. My lawyer is assuring me that she is duty-bound to apply for a Local Authority search as the firm are on the Swansea Building Society approved lawyer panel. Is my lawyer correct?
You have limited options available to you. Given that you are taking out a loan with Swansea Building Society your lawyer has to comply with their conditions as set out in their version of the CML Conveyancing Handbook. Your lawyer would have previously signed the Terms and Conditions of Swansea Building Society’s conveyancing panel appointment which obliges them to follow the CML Handbook requirements last updated Swansea Building Society. even if you were a cash buyer you would be ill advised not to carry out a local authority search.
Do all the licensed conveyancers and solicitor practices listed on your directory have online case tracking as I understood that this was a condition of being on the Swansea Building Society solicitor panel?
The Council of Mortgage Lenders or BSA do not require online case tracking. Some law firms operate such technology and some don't.
What happens if my lawyer’s firm is suspended from the Swansea Building Society Conveyancing panel before the moving date as agreed at exchange of contracts?
The first thing to point out is that, this is very unlikely to happen. In most cases even where a law firm is removed off of a panel the lender would allow the completion to go ahead as the lender would appreciate the difficulties that they would place you in if you have ti instruct a new solicitor days before completion. In a worst case scenario where the lender insists that you instruct a new firm then it is possible for a very good lawyer to expedite the conveyancing albeit that you may pay a significant premium for this. The analogous situation is where a buyer instructs a lawyer, exchanges contracts and the law firm is shut down by the regulator such as the SRA. Again, in this situation you can find lawyers who can troubleshoot their way to bring the conveyancing to a satisfactory conclusion - albeit for a fee.
Do most banks operate their own panel of solicitors?
Many lenders do operate a restricted conveyancing panel but a lot of lenders allow any solicitors to join their panel so long as they meet their criteria. Each lender sets their own criteria. For example the Swansea Building Society conveyancing panel requirements are different to Swansea Building Society’s conveyancing panel requirements.
I have today made my last payment due on mortgage with Swansea Building Society. I assume I don't need a solicitor on the Swansea Building Society panel to remove the mortgage at the Land Registry. Am I right?
If you have finished paying off your Swansea Building Society mortgage they may send you evidence showing that you have paid it off. Alternatively they may notify the Land Registry directly. The Land Registry need to see this evidence before they will remove the Swansea Building Society mortgage from the register. Swansea Building Society,and any evidence they send you, will determine the action you need to take. In cases where no conveyancer is acting for you and you have paid off your mortgage: but are not moving to another property where the Swansea Building Society has sent the Land Registry the discharge electronically, and the Swansea Building Society has instructed the Land Registry to do so The Land Registry will send you a letter confirming that your Swansea Building Society mortgage has been paid off.
Completion of my purchase has taken place with a loan from Swansea Building Society. Conveyancing was satisfactory but I would like to complain about Swansea Building Society. How do I make a complaint?
Almost all banks and building societies have complaints procedures. Your first port of call should be one of the Swansea Building Society branches or the Customer Care Department at Swansea Building Society head office. Ordinarily complaints to Swansea Building Society are resolved very quickly. If you feel that the matter is not resolved you can write to the Financial Ombudsman Service at South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR with full details of your complaint.