Find a Law Firm
approved by theMortgageLender

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the theMortgageLender list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the The Mortgage Lender Limited Conveyancing Panel

The Mortgage Lender Conveyancing Panel : Questions and Answers

A conveyancer my fiance and I wanted to use for conveyancing on a remortgage said he would charge more if my lender is because of their unusual legal requirements. Am I likely to be frustrated using The Mortgage Lender? Any comments will be appreciated
The Mortgage Lender conveyancing requirements for their panel are no better or no more complicated than most lenders. It is the case now the CML Handbook, the "bible" used by solicitors to establish lender requirements, is different for each lender. It is not clear if your lawyer is on the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing panel. If they are not, this does add further risk of delay as The Mortgage Lender will appoint their own solicitors to look after their interest.
Can you clarify something for me?. For no fault of my lawyer but, the conveyancing for my house purchase has been going on for months. The Local Authority Search from The Mortgage Lender was issued random date and we have agreed a date for me to move into the property on 10 days inc Day of week eg. Mon. My lawyer says that as she is on the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing panel she needs to reorder the searches as they are now out of date.
One of the many conditions to being on the The Mortgage Lender approved panel is to comply with the CML Handbook Part 2 obligations (last updated for this lender on The Mortgage Lender)which specifies that a local authority search be not more than half a year old. You should nevertheless ask your lawyer to check whether something called ‘search validation’ indemnity insurance is acceptable to The Mortgage Lender.
Whilst your website is a good idea there are many lawyers listed near Hackney on the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing panel. It would be a lot more helpful if you could recommend a specific firm on the The Mortgage Lender approved panel?
We are not in the business of recommending one firm above another as the right firm for you depends on where your priorities lie. For example you may require a local firm with local knowledge or you might be looking for the low cost conveyancing. Before you appoint your lawyer we advise you to speak to two or three of the firms listed to gain comfort as to which one is right for you..
I am attempting to get my ex-wife removed the mortgage deeds. Can The Mortgage Lender really insist on which solicitor I can or can not retain?
You can use any solicitor you like but The Mortgage Lender then has the right to appoint a different solicitor to act for them at your expense. It might be more cost effective and quicker to instruct a lawyer who is on the The Mortgage Lender solicitors panel
Can I be sure that the solicitor on the The Mortgage Lender panel is any good?
Getting recommendations is a good start. Before you go ahead check if they offer a no sale no fee offer. Also you often get what you pay for - a firm which quotes more will often provide a better service than one which is cheap as chips. We would always advise that you speak with the solicitor carrying out your transaction
My offer was accepted on an apartment on the 12th January 2014, valuation was booked five days after, received a clean bill of health. Conveyancer retained, so the only thing outstanding was my mortgage offer. Having made daily calls to The Mortgage Lender and chasing them on my offer I have now been told that my offer will not be issued unless the lawyer is on the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing panel. Can the lender hold off the offer?
Mortgage companies tend not to not issue an offer until they have details of a lawyer on their panel. It can take a few weeks for The Mortgage Lender to deal with your lawyers application to be on the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing panel. There's no guarantee that your solicitors will be accepted.
The Mortgage Lender have agreed my mortgage in principle, my offer on house has been accepted, now what?
The estate agent will want to know who your solicitors are (make sure these solicitors are on the lenders panel). Call up The Mortgage Lender or your broker and complete any relevant paperwork. The Mortgage Lender will tell you what documents they want. The Mortgage Lender will instruct a valuer. The valuer will get in touch with the estate agent or seller to book an appointment. Once conducted (assuming no problems) it takes about week to get a mortgage offer. The Mortgage Lender will issue the offer to you and your lawyer. The transaction will then take it’s course according the nature and complexity of the conveyancing.