Find a Law Firm
approved by Marsden Building Society

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the Marsden Building Society list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the Marsden Building Society Conveyancing Panel

FAQs : The Marsden Building Society Conveyancing Panel

I was advised recently by my mortgage broker that my property lawyer is not on the Marsden Building Society Conveyancing panel. What can I do to check?
You need to contact your lawyer directly. It is reasonable to expect your lawyer to advise you what has happened. If they are not on the panel they may recommend you to a firm that is on the the approved Marsden Building Society solicitor panel.
We are due to exchange on the purchase a house but as a result of damage from the recent storms I have agreed compensation from the seller of £3k approx by way of a reduction in the price. This was going to be dealt with as part of the conveyancing process but my mortgage company Marsden Building Society will not agree to this. Why was Marsden Building Society even consulted?
Your lawyer being on the Marsden Building Society conveyancing panel is duty bound to inform Marsden Building Society of any changes to the purchase price. If you were to refuse your lawyers to disclose the reduction to Marsden Building Society then they would have to discontinue acting for you and Marsden Building Society.
Having used your search tool I can't find the lawyer I was hoping to instruct as being on the Marsden Building Society conveyancing panel. My lawyer has said that they are on the Marsden Building Society approved panel. How can I be sure given that they are not listed on your directory?
Not all firms are yet listed on our lender panel search tool which is still relatively new. Law firms are listing on a daily basis and it is probably the case that your lawyer is on the Marsden Building Society conveyancing lawyer and you should probably take them at their word. Please do feel free to suggest that they completing their listing on our site as it would only cost them £1 a month to list themselves as being on the Marsden Building Society solicitor panel.
What happens if my solicitor is removed from the Marsden Building Society Conveyancing panel prior to the completion date?
The first thing to point out is that, this is very unlikely to happen. In most cases even where a law firm is removed off of a panel the lender would allow the completion to go ahead as the lender would appreciate the difficulties that they would place you in if you have ti instruct a new solicitor days before completion. In a worst case scenario where the lender insists that you instruct a new firm then it is possible for a very good lawyer to expedite the conveyancing albeit that you may pay a significant premium for this. The analogous situation is where a buyer instructs a lawyer, exchanges contracts and the law firm is shut down by the regulator such as the SRA. Again, in this situation you can find lawyers who can troubleshoot their way to bring the conveyancing to a satisfactory conclusion - albeit at a cost.
Are all Conveyancing Quality Solicitors on the Marsden Building Society conveyancing panel?
Some major lenders now use the accreditation scheme as the starting point for Panel approval such as HSBC and Santander. The Law Society’s CQS membership however gives no guarantee to lender panel acceptance. That being said,the Council of Mortgage Lenders have indicated that it is likely to become a pre-requisite for firms wishing to remain on their approved list of firms.
How can we tell if a solicitor on the Marsden Building Society panel is any good?
Getting recommendations is a sensible start. Before you go ahead check if they offer a no sale no fee offer. Also you often get what you pay for - a firm which quotes more will often provide a better service than one which is cheap as chips. We would always advise that you speak with the lawyer handling your transaction
I am buying a property where the roof has a solar panel. Marsden Building Society have issued a mortgage offer so presumably this is not a concern to them. Why is my solicitor raising questions about the panel?
Given that your lender is Marsden Building Society your lawyer must to check the Marsden Building Society conveyancing instructions contained in the Part of CML Handbook for Marsden Building Society . The CML Handbook contains minimum requirements for solar panel roof-space leases, and solicitors are required to report to Marsden Building Society where a lease does not meet these requirements. The requirements relate to the installation of panels on properties in England and Wales. Requirements for Scotland are due in the near future.