Find a Law Firm
approved by Monmouthshire BS

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the Monmouthshire BS list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the Monmouthshire Building Society Conveyancing Panel

Common questions asked concerning the Monmouthshire Building Society Solicitor Panel

My property lawyer has never been on on the Monmouthshire Building Society Conveyancing Panel. Can I still continue with my preferred solicitor notwithstanding that they are not on the Monmouthshire Building Society panel?
The most common options here are as follows:
  1. Carry on with your preferred solicitors but Monmouthshire Building Society will need to instruct a lawyer on the Monmouthshire Building Society conveyancing panel. This will result in additional cost and potential delay.
  2. Get a new solicitor to act in the purchase, obviously checking they are on the Monmouthshire Building Society conveyancing panel.
  3. Urge your lawyer to apply to join the Monmouthshire Building Society lender panel
We are due to exchange on the purchase a house but as a result of damage from the recent storms I have agreed compensation from the seller of £3k approx by way of a reduction in the price. This was going to be dealt with as part of the conveyancing process but my mortgage company Monmouthshire Building Society will not agree to this. Why was Monmouthshire Building Society even consulted?
Your lawyer being on the Monmouthshire Building Society conveyancing panel is duty bound to inform Monmouthshire Building Society of any changes to the purchase price. If you were to refuse your lawyers to disclose the reduction to Monmouthshire Building Society then they would have to discontinue acting for you and Monmouthshire Building Society.
Your search tool is useful but there are many lawyers listed near Manchester on the Monmouthshire Building Society conveyancing panel. It would be a lot more helpful if you could recommend a specific firm on the Monmouthshire Building Society approved panel?
We do not recommend specific firms as the right firm for you depends on where your priorities lie. For example you may require a local firm with local knowledge or you might be looking for the low cost conveyancing. Before you appoint your lawyer we advise you to speak to two or three of the firms listed to gain comfort as to which one is right for you..
My grandfather passed away 10 months ago and as sole heir and executor was left the house. The house had a relatively small loan left on it of around £4500. I want to transfer the title deeds into my name whilst I re-mortgage to Monmouthshire Building Society , pay off the mortgage etc. Is this possible?
If you intend to re-mortgage then Monmouthshire Building Society will insist on your using a conveyancer on the Monmouthshire Building Society conveyancing panel. Here is link to the Land Registry online guidance around what to do when a property owner dies. This will help you to understand the registration process behind changing the details re the registered title. in your case it would appear that you are effectively purchasing the property from the estate. Your Monmouthshire Building Society conveyancing panel solicitor pays the new mortgage money into the estate, the estate pays off the old mortgage, the charge is released and you become the owner and the Monmouthshire Building Society mortgage is registered as a charge at the Land Registry.
Can I be sure that the solicitor on the Monmouthshire Building Society panel is any good?
seeking recommendations is a sensible starting point. Before you go ahead check if they offer a no sale no fee offer. Also you often get what you pay for - a firm which quotes more will often provide a better service than one which is cheap as chips. We would always suggest that you speak with the solicitor conducting your transaction
Do the majority of banks operate their own panel of solicitors?
Many lenders do operate a restricted conveyancing panel but a lot of lenders allow any solicitors to join their panel so long as they meet their criteria. Each lender sets their own criteria. For example the Monmouthshire Building Society conveyancing panel requirements are different to Monmouthshire Building Society’s conveyancing panel requirements.
It is not clear whether my mortgage offer obliges me to make sure the lease term for the flat is extended prior to the completion date . I have called into my local branch Monmouthshire Building Society on numerous occasions and told it wasn't a problem and they would lend. My solicitor - who is on the Monmouthshire Building Society conveyancing panel- telephoned and was told not they would not lend in accordance with their CML Handbook minimum lease term requirements. Who do I believe?
As long as the conveyancer is on the Monmouthshire Building Society panel she or he must comply with the CML Handbook requirements for Monmouthshire Building Society. Unless your lawyer obtains specific confirmation in writing that Monmouthshire Building Society will go ahead your lawyer has no choice but to refrain from exchanging contract and committing you to the purchase. We would suggest that you ask Monmouthshire Building Society to contact your lawyer in writing confirming that they will accept the remaining number of years left on the lease.