Find a Law Firm
approved by Nationwide BS

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the Nationwide BS list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the Nationwide Building Society Conveyancing Panel

FAQs : The Nationwide Building Society Conveyancing Panel

How easy is it to change a solicitor as I need to find one who is on the Nationwide BS conveyancing panel. Is it practical to instruct different lawyers?
If you haven't yet instructed a solicitor to do anything for you and have just received quotes, you're perfectly free to choose a different solicitor to carry out your work for you. The best way is to get recommendations from friends or family who have actually used the solicitor or conveyancer you're considering.
My wife and I intend to remortgage our flat with Nationwide BS. We have a son 18 who lives with us. The solicitor on the Nationwide Building Society conveyancing panel has asked us to disclose anyone over the age of 17 other than ourselves who lives in the flat. Our lawyer has now e-mailed a document for our son to sign, waiving any legal rights in the event that the property is forfeited by the lender. I have two questions (1) Is this form unique to the Nationwide BS conveyancing panel as he did not need to sign this form when we bought 5 years ago (2) Does our son by signing this giving up his rights to inherit the property?
First, rest assured that your Nationwide Building Society conveyancing panel solicitor is doing the right thing as it is established procedure for any occupier who is aged 17 or over to sign the necessary Consent Form, which is purely to state that any rights he has in the property are postponed and secondary to Nationwide BS .This is solely used to protect the Nationwide Building Society if the property were re-possessed so that in such circumstances, your son would be legally obliged to leave.

It does not impact your son’s right to inherit the apartment. Please note that if your son were to inherit and the mortgage in favour of Nationwide BS had not been discharged, he would be liable to take over the loan or pay it off, but other than that, there is nothing stopping him from keeping the property in accordance with your will or the rules of intestacy.

I am purchasing a house and need a conveyancing solicitor in Newcastle who is on the Nationwide Building Society solicitor. Can you recommend a local conveyancing firm?
Our service is a directory service for firms who wish to be listed as being on the approved conveyancing panel for Nationwide BS . We don’t recommend any particular firm.
I was supposed to complete on my dream home two days ago. My solicitor is on the Nationwide Building Society conveyancing panel but has changed address in the past couple of months and had not advised Nationwide BS of their new address. Nationwide Building Society has locked down the release of mortgage funds until such time as their systems are up to date with the correct details.
This is as unusual as it is unlucky. The majority of lender Terms of Conveyancing Panel Appointment specifically oblige the solicitor to inform the lender of an address change. Your solicitor needs to treat this with the utmost urgency. Do speak with or register your concern with the senior partner (assuming he or she is not your direct lawyer). Most lenders would be reasonable in this situation and expedite the resolution of this issue. It may be prudent to enlist the help of your local Nationwide BS branch or your mortgage broker to see if they can help.
I have a mortgage with Nationwide Building Society. Conveyancing was finalised some time ago. Should I wish to rent out my property and do not currently have a buy-to-let mortgage do I need to remortgage to a buy-to-let mortgage or inform Nationwide BS?
Your original mortgage agreement with Nationwide Building Society will provide that you need their approval prior to letting out your property as this is likely to be a breach of Nationwide BS’s mortgage conditions. It may be that Nationwide Building Society will permit you to let out your former home without needing to switch to a buy-to-let mortgage but some lenders will add a surcharge to your mortgage rate to reflect the higher risk. You should contact Nationwide BS directly. You need not do this via a Nationwide Building Society conveyancing panel solicitor.
Completion of my purchase has taken place with a loan from Nationwide BS. Conveyancing was of an acceptable standard but I would like to complain about Nationwide Building Society. How do I make a complaint?
All lenders have complaints procedures. Your first point of contact should be one of the Nationwide BS branches or the Customer Services Team at Nationwide Building Society head office. We understand that complaints to Nationwide BS are sorted out very quickly. However if you are not satisfied that the matter is resolved you can write to the Financial Ombudsman Service who will take matters further.
I am selling my flat. I had a double glazing fitted in month 7 but did not receive a FENSA certificate or Building Regulation Certificate. My purchaser’s mortgage company, Nationwide Building Society are being difficult. The solicitor who is on the Nationwide BS conveyancing panel is happy to accept ‘lack of building regulation’ insurance but Nationwide Building Society are requiring a building regulation certificate. Why do Nationwide BS have a conveyancing panel of they don’t accept advice from them?
It is probably the case that Nationwide Building Society have referred the matter to their valuer. The reason why Nationwide BS may not want to accept indemnity insurance is because it does not give them any reassurance that the double glazing correctly and safely installed. It merely protects against enforcement action which is very unlikely anyway.