Find a Law Firm
approved by Scottish BS

Ready to buy a new home? Failing to check that a lawyer is on the Scottish BS list of approved solicitors can put your transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Find an Approved Solicitor on the Scottish Building Society Conveyancing Panel

Examples of recent questions relating to the Scottish Building Society Solicitor Panel

I appointed a law firm to work on my remortgage six weeks ago having applied for a mortgage with Scottish Building Society. The law firm confirmed to me that they are on Scottish Building Society conveyancing panel and gave me their panel reference. Scottish Building Society then ,via my broker advised that their panel number was dormant and would need to be reactivated. What do I do from here? Should I appoint a new solicitor currently on the conveyancing panel for Scottish Building Society?
The answer depends on whether you still have confidence in the said solicitors and how long it will take for the firm to be reinstated on the Scottish Building Society conveyancing panel You may wish to enlist the help of your broker to check with the Scottish Building Society as to the time frame to get your lawyer reinstated on the panel once again.
My conveyancer has uncovered an inconsistency when comparing the assumptions in Scottish Building Society’s home valuation report and what is in the conveyancing documents. My solicitor has advised that as he is on the Scottish Building Society conveyancing panel he must ensure that the lender is happy with this discrepancy and is content go ahead. Is my lawyer’s stance correct?
A precondition to being on the Scottish Building Society approved panel is to comply with the CML Handbook requirements (last updated for this lender on Scottish Building Society) which do require that your lawyer disclose any incorrect assumptions in the lender’s valuation report and the legal papers. Should you refuse to allow your lawyer to make the appropriate notification then your lawyer will have no choice but to discontinue acting for both parties.
I am planning to acquire a flat and require a conveyancing solicitor in Leeds who is on the Scottish Building Society conveyancing. Can you recommend a local solicitor?
Our service is a directory service for firms who wish to be listed as being on the approved conveyancing panel for Scottish Building Society . We don’t recommend any particular firm.
The firm that I recently instructed on my purchase in Manchester has without warning closed. They were on acting for me because I needed a firm on the Scottish Building Society conveyancing panel and my previous lawyer was not. I paid them £200 on account. What are my options?
Assuming that you have an Estate Agent in the equation then inform them straight away so that they advise the vendors that there may be a slight delay due to reasons beyond your control. Hopefully they will be sympathetic and urge their lawyer to send a new set of papers to your new solicitors. You will need to appoint new lawyers that are on the Scottish Building Society conveyancing panel and notify the lender. If you have paid over any money it will hopefully be held by the SRA as money in an intervened firm's bank accounts is transferred to the SRA. Then, the SRA or the intervention agent looks at the intervened firm's accounts to work out who the money belongs to. To claim your money you will need to contact the SRA. If the SRA cannot return money you are owed from the firm's bank accounts, or if they can only return part of the money, you can apply to the Compensation Fund for a grant. Your new solicitors should be in a position to help
I have a mortgage with Scottish Building Society. My godfather retired last week and wants to pay off the mortgage left on the property. After Scottish Building Society is paid, I want to transfer the property to my mother's name; How long does the process take? Do we need two separate solicitors on the Scottish Building Society conveyancing panel? I do not intend to live at the property once the Scottish Building Society mortgage is discharged.
Although you do need to retain the services of a lawyer they dont need to be on the Scottish Building Society panel. You will need a solicitor to draw up the transfer and to deal with the Land Registry formalities. The only thing you need to consider is that by selling at an undervalue so ask your lawyer about the implications. There could be an inheritance tax issue if you die within 7 years of this. There's no capital gains tax for you as it is your main residence.
The for formalities of my remortgage has taken place with a loan from Scottish Building Society. Conveyancing was a necessary evil but I would like to complain about Scottish Building Society. How does one go about formally complaining?
Almost all lenders have complaints procedures. Your first port of call should be one of the Scottish Building Society branches or the Customer Services Team at Scottish Building Society head office. Ordinarily complaints to Scottish Building Society are resolved very quickly. However if you are not satisfied that the matter is resolved you can write to the Financial Ombudsman Service at South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR who will take matters further.
Can I register a complaint to Scottish Building Society about the lawyers being on the Scottish Building Society conveyancing panel?
Complaining to Scottish Building Society about their conveyancing panel is unlikely to yield much of a response. Every solicitor firm and conveyancer must have a complaints procedure. Usually one can find this information from the solicitor’s or conveyancer’s website or ask at their office. They must tell you about it if you ask.

The Legal Ombudsman will make sure that your complaint is properly dealt with by the solicitor. It can also advise you how to complain.

If a licensed conveyancer does not have a complaints procedure or will not tell you about it, contact the Council for Licensed Conveyancers (CLC), which will make sure that your complaint is properly dealt with by the conveyancer. Please see below for more information.