Find a Barnsley Conveyancing Solictior on Your Lender’s Panel

Ready to buy a new home in Barnsley? Failing to check that a lawyer is on your lender’s list of approved solicitors can put your Barnsley transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Only LenderPanel.com provides a subset of authorised Barnsley conveyancers for over 130 lenders.

Recently asked questions about conveyancing in Barnsley

I can't travel far from Barnsley. Please explain the reason why all Barnsley lawyers are not on all mortgage company panels?

Lenders ordinarily restrict either the type or volume of conveyancing firms on their approved list of lawyers. Frequent examples of such criteria being that a firm is required to have two or more partners. In addition to restricting the nature of firm, some banks decided to reduce the number of organisations they permit to act for them. You should note that banks have no liability for the quality of advice provided by any Barnsley conveyancing practitioner on their panel. Increases in mortgage fraud was the primary trigger for the reduction of conveyancing panels a few years ago notwithstanding that there are conflicting views about whether solicitors sat at the center of that fraud. Statistics from HMLR reveal that thousands of law practices only transact one or two conveyances annually. Those supporting conveyancing panel pruning ask why law firms deserve claim to be listed on a conveyancing panel when clearly conveyancing is not their speciality?

My wife and I are purchasing a property in Barnsley. I might seem paranoid but how we can trust a solicitor? At some point we will need to put our life savings into their account. What is the protection we have from them run away with our deposit?

Be assured that all money in a Solicitors client account is 100% safe, and even if your Solicitor ran off with it, the Law Society would reimburse you fully.

My wife and I purchasing a detached bungalow in Barnsley. We would like to carry out an extension to the side at the house.Will legal due diligence on the property involve checks to determine if these works are permitted?

Your solicitor should check the deeds as conveyancing in Barnsley will occasionally reveal restrictions in the title deeds which prevent certain changes or require the consent of another owner. Many extensions need local authority planning permissions and approval under the building regulations. Many locations are designated conservation areas and special planning restrictions apply which often prevent or impact extensions. You should check these issues with a surveyor ahead of any purchase.

When it comes to mortgage companies such as Leeds Building Society, do Barnsley lawyers face a yearly amount to be on the conveyancing panel?

We are unaware of any bank fees to register on their panel, although some do levy an administration fee to deal with the processing of the conveyancing panel application.

I used Stirling Law several years past for my conveyancing in Barnsley. I now require my file however the law firm is no longer operating. What do I do?

Do call the Solicitors Regulatory Authority (SRA) to assist in tracing your conveyancing files. They can be contacted on please contact on 0870 606 2555. Alternatively, you should use their online form to make an enquiry. You will need to provide the SRA with as much information as possible to assist their search, including the name and address in Barnsley of the conveyancing firm of solicitors you previously instructed, the name of conveyancing solicitor with whom you had dealings, and the date on which you last had dealings with the firm.

Is it simple use your search facility to get a costs illustration from a conveyancing lawyer in Barnsley on the approved list for my bank?

First pick a lender such as Santander, Norwich and Peterborough Building Society or Barclays Direct then choose your location e.g. Barnsley. Conveyancing firms in Barnsley and further afield will then be shown.

I happen to be an executor of my recently deceased mum’s Will, with a property in Barnsley which is to be marketed. The bungalow is unregistered at HMLR and I'm told that some estate agents will insist that it is in place before they'll proceed. What's the procedure for this?

In the situation you refer to it seems sensible to apply to register in the names of the personal representative(s) as named in the probate and in their capacity as PRs. The Land Registry’s online guidance explains how to register for the first time and what is required re the deeds and forms. You would need to include and certified copy of the probate as well and complete the form FR1 to refer to the PRs as the applicant.

Last updated

Find out more about how flying freehold can affect your the value of a property.