Find a Washington Conveyancing Solictior on Your Lender’s Panel

Ready to buy a new home in Washington? Failing to check that a lawyer is on your lender’s list of approved solicitors can put your Washington transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Only LenderPanel.com provides a subset of authorised Washington conveyancers for over 130 lenders.

Recently asked questions about conveyancing in Washington

I have given 2 months notice to my existing landlord and must leave my rented property in Washington by 3/4/2019. Conveyancing for my house purchase has just started. Can I complete in three weeks as don't want to have to move into temporary accommodation?

Generally one should not give notice for your letting unless your lawyer suggests that you should. Assuming that you have not already done so, speak to your solicitor and request that they cajole the other side, try to get a realistic time scale from them that everyone will aim to achieve

In what way does my ID and proof of funds have anything to do with my conveyancing in Washington? Why is this being asked of me?

In order to comply with Money Laundering Regulations any Washington conveyancing firm will require proof of identity in all conveyancing transactions. This is usually satisfied by provision of a passport and an original bank statement or utility bill evidencing where you reside.

Under Money Laundering Regulations, conveyancers are required to ascertain not simply the ID of conveyancing clients but also the source of fund that they receive in respect of any matter. An unwillingness to disclose this will lead to your conveyancer terminating their relationship with you, as clearly this will cause a conflict between the set Regulations and a refusal to disclose.

Your property lawyers will have an obligation to inform the relevant authorities should they consider that any monies received by them may contravene the Money Laundering Regulations.

When reviewing online forums for a conveyancing lawyer in Washington, most post that I should use a CQS accredited lawyer. What is CQS?

Washington Conveyancing Quality Scheme law firms have achieved certification under the Law Society's Scheme (CQS) CQS was created to establish evidence of quality standards in the in the legal transfer of properties. CQS enables consumers to identify practices who provide a quality residential conveyancing. Washington is one of locations in England and Wales in which CQS are located. The scheme requires solicitors to undergo a strict assessment, compulsory training, self-reporting, random audits and yearly assessments in order to maintain CQS status. It is open only to members of the Law Society who meet the demanding standards set by the scheme and has the support of the Council of Mortgage Lenders.

How does conveyancing in Washington differ for newly converted properties?

Most buyers of new build residence in Washington approach us having been asked by the housebuilder to exchange contracts and commit to the purchase even before the property is built. This is because builders in Washington tend to purchase the site, plan the estate and want to get the plots sold off as they are building the properties. Buyers, therefore, will have to exchange contracts without actually seeing the house they are buying. To reduce the chances of losing the property, buyers should instruct conveyancers as soon as the property is reserved and mortgage applications should be submitted quickly. Due to the fact that it could be several months and even years between exchange of contracts and completion, the mortgage offer may need to be extended. It would be wise to use a lawyer who specialises in new build conveyancing especially if they are accustomed to new build conveyancing in Washington or who has acted in the same development.

How easy is it to use the search facility to find a conveyancing solicitor in Washington on the approved list for my lender?

Step one is to choose a lender such as Lloyds TSB Bank, Chelsea Building Society or Godiva Mortgages Ltd then choose your preferred area e.g. Washington. Conveyancing firms in Washington and beyond will then be identified.

Last updated

Find out more about how flying freehold can affect your the value of a property.