Find a Chalk Farm Conveyancing Solictior on Your Lender’s Panel

Ready to buy a new home in Chalk Farm? Failing to check that a lawyer is on your lender’s list of approved solicitors can put your Chalk Farm transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Only LenderPanel.com provides a subset of authorised Chalk Farm conveyancers for over 130 lenders.

Recently asked questions about conveyancing in Chalk Farm

I opted to have a survey completed on a house in Chalk Farm ahead of instructing solicitors. I have been advised that there is a flying freehold element to the property. The surveyor advised that some banks may not grant a mortgage on such a home.

It varies from the lender to lender. Bank of Scotland has different instructions from Halifax. If you e-mail us we can investigate further with the appropriate bank. If you lender is happy to lend one our lawyers can help as they are used to dealing with flying freeholds in Chalk Farm. Conveyancing will be smoother if you use a solicitor in Chalk Farm especially if they regularly deal with such properties in Chalk Farm.

What makes your site different to alternative web based conveyancing solicitors when it comes to conveyancing in Chalk Farm?

At this site get a conveyancing costs illustration from a Solicitor or Licensed Conveyancer that understands the nuances of your conveyancing in Chalk Farm. As opposed to estate agents and brokerage sites we are not in the business of charging firms a commission if you select them for your property ownership legalities in Chalk Farm

As co-executor for the estate of my grandfather I am disposing of a residence in Monmouth but I am based in Chalk Farm. My lawyer (who is 200 kilometers from meneeds me to execute a statutory declaration before completion. Can you recommend a conveyancing lawyer in Chalk Farm who can attest this legal document for me?

Technically speaking you should not be required to have the documents attested by a conveyancing solicitor. Normally any notary public or qualified solicitor will suffice regardless of whether they are Chalk Farm based

I today plan to offer on a house that seems to meet my requirements, at a great price which is making it all the more appealing. I have since been informed that it's a leasehold rather than freehold. I would have thought that there are issues purchasing a house with a leasehold title in Chalk Farm. Conveyancing lawyers have not yet been instructed. Will they explain the issues?

The majority of houses in Chalk Farm are freehold rather than leasehold. This is one of the situations where having a local conveyancer who is familiar with the area who can assist with the conveyancing process. We note that you are purchasing in Chalk Farm so you should seriously consider looking for a Chalk Farm conveyancing solicitor and check that they have experience in dealing with leasehold houses. As a matter of priority you will need to check the unexpired lease term. Being a tenant you will not be entirely free to do whatever you want with the house. The lease will likely included provisions such as requiring the landlord’spermission to conduct changes to the property. You may also be required to pay a maintenance charge towards the upkeep of the estate where the property is part of an estate. Your conveyancer should advise you fully on all the issues.

Having spent months of dialogue we are unable to agree with our landlord on how much the lease extension should cost for our flat in Chalk Farm. Can we issue an application to the Residential Property Tribunal Service?

if there is a absentee freeholder or where there is dispute about the premium for a lease extension, under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 it is possible to make an application to the LVT to calculate the price.

An example of a Lease Extension decision for a Chalk Farm premises is Flat 2 27 Mackeson Road in December 2012. The Tribunal assessed the value of the lease extension premium at £35,435 and rounded the figure to £35,500 This case related to 1 flat. The number of years remaining on the existing lease(s) was 64.77 years.

My husband and I plan to purchase our first home in Chalk Farm. Conveyancing lawyer already appointed. The financial consultant pointed out that a survey is not appropriate as the house is only 20 yrs old.

You would be well advised to commission a Home Buyer's Report. As the property is more than 10 years old the property will not benefit from a warranty, so you don't want to take a risk. For a property that age with no signs of defects a Home Buyer's report may suffice. The report should highlight any apparent issues and suggest additional investigation if relevant. Where there are any signs of problems get a comprehensive structural survey.

Last updated

Neighbouring Locations

Gospel Oak
Belsize Park
Chalk Farm
Kentish Town
Primrose Hill

Find out more about how flying freehold can affect your the value of a property.