Find a Hampshire Conveyancing Solictior on Your Lender’s Panel

Ready to buy a new home in Hampshire? Failing to check that a lawyer is on your lender’s list of approved solicitors can put your Hampshire transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Only LenderPanel.com provides a subset of authorised Hampshire conveyancers for over 130 lenders.

Recently asked questions about conveyancing in Hampshire

I am in the market for a reasonably priced conveyancer. Do I opt for a national conveyancer as opposed to a family Hampshire conveyancing solicitor?

Generally conveyancing lawyers in your location will have good relationships with your local authority, which could help with the Hampshire conveyancing searches that your lawyer will inevitably need. It can only help if they have strong rapport with the Land Registry overseeing your area Hampshire, other conveyancers in the location and Hampshire selling agents.

My partner and I have recently bought a house in Hampshire. We have since encountered a number of issues with the property which we believe were overlooked in the conveyancing searches. What action can we take? What searches should? have been ordered as part of conveyancing in Hampshire?

The question is not clear as what problems have arisen and if they are specific to conveyancing in Hampshire. Conveyancing searches and due diligence undertaken as part of the legal transfer of property are designed to help avoid problems. As part of the legal transfer of property, a property owner fills in a questionnaire known as a Seller’s Property Information Form. If the information ends up being inaccurate, you may have a misrepresentation claim against the seller for any losses that you have suffered. The survey should have identified any problems with the structure of the property. Assuming a detailed survey was carried out and the issues were not identified, you may have a claim against the surveyor. However, if you did not have a full survey, you may be responsible for fixing any defects that have now been noted. We would always encourage buyers to take every possible step to ensure they are completely aware of the condition of a property before purchase regardless of whether they are buying in Hampshire.

Just acquired a detached house in Hampshire , What is the estimated time for the Land Registry to register the transfer to my name? My Hampshire conveyancing solicitor works at snail pace, so I want to be sure that my purchase is registered.

There is nothing unique when it comes to conveyancing in Hampshire registration formalities. As opposed to being determined by geographic area, timescales can vary depending on who lodges the application, whether there are errors and if the Land registry must send notices to any third persons or bodies. As of today roughly three quarters of submission are fully addressed within 12 days but some can be subject to protracted delays. Registration is effected once the purchaser is living at the property so an expedited registration is not always primary concern yet where it is urgent that the the registration takes place urgently then you or your conveyancer must communicate with the Registry to express the reasoning for the application to be prioritised.

I decided to have a survey carried out on a property in Hampshire before retaining conveyancers. I have been advised that there is a flying freehold overhang to the house. Our surveyor has said that some lenders tend refuse to grant a loan on this type of premises.

It depends who your proposed lender is. HSBC has different requirements for example to Halifax. Should you wish to telephone us we can investigate further with the appropriate bank. If you lender is happy to lend one our lawyers can help as they are used to dealing with flying freeholds in Hampshire. Conveyancing can be more complicated and therefore you should check with your conveyancing solicitor in Hampshire to see if the conveyancing costs will increase in light of this.

If all goes to plan we aim to complete our sale of a £150,000 maisonette in Hampshire in just under a week. The management company has quoted £348 for Landlord’s certificate, insurance certificate and 3 years service charge statements. Is it legal for a freeholder to charge exorbitant fees for a flat conveyance in Hampshire?

Hampshire conveyancing on leasehold maisonettes usually results in fees being raised by managing agents :

    Completing conveyancing due diligence enquiries Where consent is required before sale in Hampshire Supplying insurance information Deeds of covenant upon sale Registering of the assignment of the change of lessee after a sale
Your solicitor will have no control over the level of the charges for this information but the average costs for the information for Hampshire leasehold property is £350. For Hampshire conveyancing transactions it is customary for the seller to pay for these costs. The landlord or their agents are under no legal obligation to answer such questions most will be willing to do so - albeit often at exorbitant prices where the fees bear little relation to the work involved. Unfortunately there is no law that requires fixed charges for administrative tasks. Neither is there any legal time frame by which they are obliged to supply the information.

Hampshire Conveyancing for Leasehold Flats - A selection of Queries Prior to Purchasing

    Plenty Hampshire leasehold properties will incur a service charge for maintenance of the block levied on behalf of the landlord. Should you acquire the property you will have to pay this charge, usually quarterly during the year. This may vary from two or three hundred pounds to thousands of pounds for blocks with lifts and large common grounds. There will also be a rentcharge to be met annual, ordinarily this is not a large figure, say about £50-£100 but you should to check as occasionally it could be many hundreds of pounds. The prefered form of lease arrangement is a share of the freehold. In this situation the leaseholders benefit from control and although a managing agent is frequently retained if it is larger than a house conversion, the managing agent acts for the leaseholders themselves.

Last updated

Find out more about how flying freehold can affect your the value of a property.