Find a Saltash Conveyancing Solictior on Your Lender’s Panel

Ready to buy a new home in Saltash? Failing to check that a lawyer is on your lender’s list of approved solicitors can put your Saltash transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Only LenderPanel.com provides a subset of authorised Saltash conveyancers for over 130 lenders.

Recently asked questions about conveyancing in Saltash

I can't travel far from Saltash. Please spell out why all Saltash solicitors aren't included on all lender panels?

Pre- 2008 most lenders demonstrated an attitude to risk which is different from today. The FSA in 2010 instigated a thematic review into property fraud which concluded: know the lawyers on your panel. As a result, lenders have since looked to extract more data from law firms about their operations and the staff employed by them and set certain criteria such as completing a minimum number of transactions. Thousands of firms have been excluded from lender panels even though they had an exemplary disciplinary record, no complaints and no claims and didn't just 'dabble' in conveyancing. Many firms were never going to meet the criteria of volume of transactions the lenders required.

What does my ID and proof of funds have anything to do with my conveyancing in Saltash? What am I being asked for?

To satisfy the Money Laundering Regulations any Saltash conveyancing firm will require proof of identity in all conveyancing matters. This is normally satisfied by provision of a passport and an original bank statement or utility bill evidencing your correct address.

Under Money Laundering Regulations, property lawyers are duty bound to validate not simply the ID of conveyancing clients but also the source of monies that they receive in respect of any matter. Refusal to disclose this will lead to your conveyancer ending their retainer with you, as clearly this will cause a conflict between the set Regulations and a refusal to disclose.

Your conveyancers will have an obligation to make a disclosure to the relevant authorities should they consider that any monies received by them may contravene the Money Laundering Regulations.

Can I be sure that the Saltash conveyancing solicitor on the Lloyds panel is any good?

When it comes to conveyancing in Saltash obtaining recommendations is a good starting point. Before you go ahead, check if they offer a no sale no fee offer. Also, you often get what you pay for - a firm which quotes more, will often provide a better service than one which is cheap as chips. We would always advise that you speak with the lawyer handling your conveyancing.

I am purchasing a property in Saltash. An unusual aspect is that the roof has a solar panel. Solicitors conducting should look into this right? Will my lender RBS be concerned?

Given that your lender is RBS your lawyer must follow the formal instructions set out in Section two of UK Finance Lenders’ Handbook for RBS. The Council of Mortgage Lenders’ Handbook stipulates minimum conditions for solar panel roof-space leases, and solicitors are required to report to RBS where a lease fails to comply with these provisions. The specifications relate to the installation of panels on properties nationwide and is not limited to Saltash.

The formalities of my purchase has taken place for my property in Saltash. Conveyancing was satisfactory but I would like to complain about the lender. Who do I contact should I wish to lodge a complaint?

Almost all lenders have complaints procedures. Your first point of contact should be one of the lender’s branches or the Customer Services Team at head office. Ordinarily complaints to a lender are sorted out effectively and efficiently. If you feel the matter is not resolved you can write to Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR with full details of your complaint.

I am tempted by the attractive purchase price for a two maisonettes in Saltash which have about fifty years remaining on the lease term. Will this present a problem?

A lease is a right to use the premises for a period of time. As a lease shortens the saleability of the lease reduces and results in it becoming more expensive to extend the lease. This is why it is advisable to extend the lease term. More often than not it is difficult to sell a property with a short lease as mortgage lenders may be unwilling to lend money on such properties. Lease extension can be a protracted process. We recommend you get professional help from a solicitor and surveyor with experience in this field.

Saltash Conveyancing for Leasehold Flats - A selection of Questions you should consider before buying

    What restrictions are contained in the Saltash Lease? If a Saltash lease has no more than 80 years it will have adverse implications on the value of the flat. Check with your lender that they are happy with remaining years on the lease. A short lease means that you will most likely need a lease extension sooner rather than later and you need to have some idea of how much this will be. Remember, in most cases you will need to own the residence for two years before you are entitled to exercise a lease extension. Most Saltash leasehold flats will be liable to pay a service charge for maintenance of the building invoiced by the management company. Should you buy the flat you will have to pay this liability, usually in instalments during the year. This can differ from several hundred pounds to thousands of pounds for large purpose-built buildings. In all probability there will be a rentcharge for you to pay yearly, normally this is not a large figure, say approximately £25-£75 but you should to check as occasionally it can be many hundreds of pounds.

There are plenty of houses in Saltash on unadopted roads. My husband and I are acquiring such a property. Are there any benefits to buying a property on a privately owned road?

Saltash conveyancing firms will be well versed in transacting propertieson unadopted roads. The property lawyer will investigate Land Registry data to find any rights or responsibilities. In many cases there is a residents association that owners make annual contributions to maintain the road. Where there is one, the road should be maintained and appear nicer than council owned.

Last updated

Find out more about how flying freehold can affect your the value of a property.