Find a Peterborough Conveyancing Solictior on Your Lender’s Panel

Ready to buy a new home in Peterborough? Failing to check that a lawyer is on your lender’s list of approved solicitors can put your Peterborough home move at risk of delay or failure.

Only LenderPanel.com provides a subset of authorised Peterborough conveyancers for over 130 lenders.

Recently asked questions about conveyancing in Peterborough

The property market in Peterborough is heating up. What can be done to accelerate the legal process?

In a situation where the seller is applying pressure for your conveyancing we would recommend that your lawyer is familiar with the area as they will make use of local connections and knowledge. It is even conceivable that they may have conducted previoushomes in the same road. Therefore consider using a Peterborough conveyancing lawyer. Second, ensure that the lawyer is on the lender panel. It is claimed that 18% of Peterborough conveyancing transactions are held up or derailed after discovering a purchaser’s solicitor was not on their banks panel. In many cases this discovery resulted in the home move being held up by almost three weeks. It is understood that this issue affects in the region of one hundred thousand home moves every year. Many Peterborough conveyancing firms can not represent certain mortgage companies so do check at the outset.

Have just purchased a repossessed house at auction in Peterborough. Conveyancing is needed. What happens now?

Now that you are exchanged you should choose a conveyancing practitioner soon as you are faced with a tight a drop dead date to complete the conveyancing. All auction property will ordinarily have an associated auction set of papers. This should include the copy title deeds, local authority and drainage searches. In the case of leasehold property the legal papers may contain a copy of the lease, management information and a sellers leasehold information form and associated conveyancing paperwork specific to a leasehold property. You must hand this to the conveyancer working for you ASAP. Do make sure that you have funds in order to complete on the on the contractual date .

Forgive me if this question is silly but I am wet behind the ears as FTB of a two bedroom flat in Peterborough. Do I collect the keys to the property on completion from my lawyer? If so, I will instruct a local conveyancing solicitor in Peterborough?

There is no need to visit the lawyers office on the day of completion. Your solicitors will arrange to send the completion advance to the seller's solicitors, and once they have received this, you should be able to pick up the keys from the selling Agents and move into your new home. This tends to happen between 1 and 3pm.

Is it correct that all Peterborough CQS (Conveyancing Quality Scheme) solicitors are on the Santander conveyancing list of approved practices?

Some major lenders now utilise CQS as the starting point for Panel approval such as HSBC and Santander. CQS accreditation however is no guarantee to lender panel acceptance. That being said,the Council of Mortgage Lenders have indicated that it is likely to become a pre-requisite for solicitor practices wishing to join their panels.

I need to find a conveyancing solicitor for remortgage conveyancing in Peterborough. I have discover a web site which seems to have the ideal solution If there is a chance to get all this stuff done via phone that would be ideal. Should I be wary? What are the potential pitfalls?

As usual with these online conveyancers you need to read ALL the small print - did you notice the extra charge for dealing with the mortgage?

Last July I purchased a leasehold house in Peterborough. Do I have any liability for service charges relating to a period prior to my ownership?

Where the service charge has already been demanded from the previous owner and they have not paid you would not usually be personally liable for the arrears. However, your landlord may still be able to take action to forfeit the lease. It is an essential part of leasehold conveyancing for your conveyancer to ensure to have an up to date clear service charge receipt before completion of your purchase. If you have a mortgage this is likely to be a requirement of your lender.

If you purchase part way through an accounting year you may be liable for charges not yet demanded even if they relate to a period prior to your purchase. In such circumstances your conveyancer would normally arrange for the seller to set aside some money to cover their part of the period (usually called a service charge retention).

Leasehold Conveyancing in Peterborough - Sample of Queries Prior to Purchasing

    It would be a good idea to find out if there is anything that is prohibited in the lease. For example plenty of leases prohibit pets being allowed in in a block in Peterborough. If you love the apartmentin Peterborough yet your dog is not allowed to live with you then you will be presented with a hard decision. Can you inform me if there are any major works in the near future that could add a premium to the maintenance costs? Please note if it is no more than 80 years it will have adverse implications on the marketability of the flat. Check with your mortgage company that they are willing to to proceed given the lease term. Leases with less than 80 years remaining means that you will most likely have to extend the lease sooner rather than later and it is worth finding out how much this will be. Remember, in most cases you would need to own the residence for two years in order to be entitled to carry out a lease extension.

If instructed can a conveyancer remove a person from the title of my property in Peterborough ?

Extracting or adding someone to the title of your home is relatively straightforward. You’ll need to appoint a solicitor to discuss your legal rights before you can proceed with a transfer of property. Contact us to book a free consultation with one a property lawyer

Last updated

Find out more about how flying freehold can affect your the value of a property.