Find a London Colney Conveyancing Solictior on Your Lender’s Panel

Ready to buy a new home in London Colney? Failing to check that a lawyer is on your lender’s list of approved solicitors can put your London Colney home move at risk of delay or failure.

Only LenderPanel.com provides a subset of authorised London Colney conveyancers for over 130 lenders.

Recently asked questions about conveyancing in London Colney

Me and my wife are buying an apartment in London Colney. My Solicitor is not listed on the lender solicitor list. Is it possible for me to continue with my London Colney conveyancing solicitor even though they are excluded from the bank approved list?

You have a couple of options available to you here

  • Complete the deal with your chosen London Colney property lawyer but your mortgage company will undoubtedly use a conveyancing practitioner on their conveyancing panel. The net result is additional cost together with potential frustration.
  • Appoint a new conveyancing practitioner to act in the purchase, making sure they are on the lender conveyancing panel.
  • Convince your solicitor to seek to join the mortgage company panel

Our London Colney conveyancer has spotted an inconsistency when comparing the information in the home valuation survey and what is in the conveyancing documents. My lawyer informs me that he must check that the bank is happy with this discrepancy and is content to go ahead. Is my lawyer’s stance appropriate?

Your property lawyer must comply with the UK Finance Lenders’ Handbook conditions which do require that your lawyer disclose any incorrect assumptions in the lender’s valuation report and the legal papers. Should you refuse to allow your lawyer to make the appropriate notification then your lawyer will have no choice but to discontinue acting for both parties.

We're in London Colney, First timers purchasing with a mortgage (lender is UBS , and our lawyer is on the UBS conveyancing panel). How long should the conveyancing process take?

The fact that your lawyer is on the UBS conveyancing panel is a help. It would almost certainly delay matters if they were not. However, no conveyancing practitioner should guarantee a timeframe for your conveyancing, due to third parties outside of your control such as delays caused by lenders,conveyancing search providers or by the other side’s solicitors. The time taken is often determined by the number of parties in a chain.

Should our solicitor be asking questions about flooding as part of the conveyancing in London Colney.

The risk of flooding is if increasing concern for lawyers dealing with homes in London Colney. There are those who buy a property in London Colney, completely expectant that at some time, it may be flooded. However, aside from the physical damage, where a house is at risk of flooding, it may be difficult to obtain a mortgage, suitable building insurance, or dispose of the property. There are steps that can be taken as part of the conveyancing process to forewarn the purchaser.

Solicitors are not best placed to give advice on flood risk, however there are a various checks that may be undertaken by the purchaser or on a buyer’s behalf which should give them a better appreciation of the risks in London Colney. The standard property information forms given to a purchaser’s conveyancer (where the solicitors are adopting what is known as the Conveyancing Protocol) includes a usual inquiry of the vendor to find out whether the property has suffered from flooding. If flooding has previously occurred and is not revealed by the owner, then a purchaser could commence a compensation claim resulting from an incorrect response. A buyer’s lawyers may also commission an environmental search. This should reveal if there is a recorded flood risk. If so, further inquiries should be made.

I happen to be an executor of my recently deceased aunt’s Will, with a property in London Colney which will be marketed. The property is unregistered at HMLR and I'm told that some purchasers will insist that it is completed before they will move forward. What's the procedure for this?

In the situation you refer to it seems sensible to apply to register in the names of the personal representative(s) as named in the probate and in their capacity as PRs. HMLR’s online guidance explains how to register for the first time and what is required re the deeds and forms. You would need to include and official copy of the probate as well and complete the form FR1 to refer to the PRs as the applicant.

Last updated

Find out more about how flying freehold can affect your the value of a property.