Find a Southsea Conveyancing Solictior on Your Lender’s Panel

Ready to buy a new home in Southsea? Failing to check that a lawyer is on your lender’s list of approved solicitors can put your Southsea transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Only LenderPanel.com provides a subset of authorised Southsea conveyancers for over 130 lenders.

Recently asked questions about conveyancing in Southsea

I was informed today by my IFA that my Southsea property lawyer is not on the mortgage company Solicitor panel. How can I be sure whether this is correct?

The first thing you need to do is to call your Southsea lawyer directly. You lawyer should inform you of the situation. Where they are not on the panel they could put your in touch with solicitors on the conveyancing panel for your bank.

Please help. My Southsea conveyancer is assuring me that he is legally obliged toorder Southsea conveyancing searches resulting from the fact thatthe firm are on the HSBCapproved lawyer panel. These Southsea checks cost a lot of money can this be avoided?

Unfortunately both you and your lawyer have little choice here. Given that you are taking out a loan with a mortgage company your conveyancing practitioner has to comply with their conditions as set out in their version of the CML Conveyancing Handbook. Your property lawyer would have previously signed the Terms and Conditions of your lender’s conveyancing panel appointment which obliges them to comply with the Council of Mortgage Lenders’ Handbook provisions . Even if you were a cash buyer you would be ill advised not to carry out Southsea conveyancing searches.

we are a couple who are hoping to buy a newbuild apartment in Southsea with a mortgage from Bank of Ireland.We have a Southsea conveyancing practitioner but Bank of Ireland says she’s not on their approved list of member firms. It seems we have no choice but to instruct a Bank of Ireland panel firm or retain our preferred solicitor and fork out for a Bank of Ireland panel lawyer to represent them. We feel as though this is unjust; Can we not simply insist that Bank of Ireland use our lawyer?

No, not really. The home loan offered to you contains terms and conditions, one of which will be that lawyers will be on the Bank of Ireland solicitor panel. Until recently, most lenders had large numbers of solicitors on their panels: a borrower could choose one for themselves, as long as it was on the lender's panel. The lender would then simply instruct the borrower's lawyers to act for the lender, too. You can use your lender's panel lawyers or you could borrow from another lender which does not restrict your choice. Another option that might be available is for your solicitors to apply to be on the conveyancing panel for Bank of Ireland

Forgive me if this question is silly but I am unseasoned as FTB of a two bedroom flat in Southsea. Do I collect the keys to the premises on the completion date from my conveyancer? If this is the case, I will find a High Street conveyancing solicitor in Southsea?

There is no need to visit the lawyers office on the day of completion. Conveyancing lawyers for you will transfer the completion advance to the seller's solicitors, and shortly after the monies have arrived, you should be invited to pick up the keys from the property Agents and start moving into the property. This tends to happen early afternoon.

When it comes to lenders such as TSB, do Southsea property lawyers incur a yearly amount to be on the conveyancing panel?

We are not aware of any bank fees to be on their panel, although some do charge an administration charge to deal with the processing of the conveyancing panel application.

My husband and I have organised a further advance on our mortgage from Clydesdale as we intend to conduct a loft conversion to our home in Southsea. Are we obliged to select a local Southsea solicitor on the Clydesdale conveyancing panel to deal with the paperwork?

Clydesdale do not ordinarily appoint a member of their conveyancing panel to deal with such a matter. If they do require any legal work then you would need to ensure that such a lawyer was on the Clydesdale list.

What does a local search tell me concerning the property we're buying in Southsea?

Southsea conveyancing often starts with the ordering local authority searches directly from your local Authority or via a personal search company for example Searchflow The local search is essential in every Southsea conveyancing purchase; as long as you don’t want any unpleasant once you have moved into your new home. The search should reveal information on, amongst other things, details on planning applications relevant to the property (whether granted or refused), building control history, any enforcement action, restrictions on permitted development, nearby road schemes, contaminated land and radon gas; in all a total of 13 subject headings.

Last updated

Find out more about how flying freehold can affect your the value of a property.