Find a Gerrards Cross and Chalfont Conveyancing Solictior on Your Lender’s Panel

Ready to buy a new home in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont? Failing to check that a lawyer is on your lender’s list of approved solicitors can put your Gerrards Cross and Chalfont transaction at risk of delay or failure.

Only LenderPanel.com provides a subset of authorised Gerrards Cross and Chalfont conveyancers for over 130 lenders.

Recently asked questions about conveyancing in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont

Unfortunately I am unable to travel far from Gerrards Cross and Chalfont. Can you please explain the reason why all Gerrards Cross and Chalfont solicitors aren't included on all mortgage company panels?

A decade ago most mortgage companies displayed an approach to risk which differs from the current day. The FSA in 2010 conducted a thematic review into property fraud which concluded: know the property lawyers on your panel. As a result, lenders have subsequently looked to extract more data from law firms regarding their operations and the staff who work for them and set certain criteria such as completing a minimum volume of transactions. Many firms have been removed from lender panels even though they had 100% healthy disciplinary record, no complaints and no claims and didn't just 'dabble' in conveyancing. Many firms were never going to meet the criteria of amount of transactions the mortgage companies insisted on.

I am being told by my lawyer that lack of planning permission insurance is needed on my purchase. What is the typical level of cover needed for conveyancing in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont?

The appropriate level of lack of planning permission indemnity insurance should be dictated by who who your lender is. It would differ for example between National Westminster Bank and The Royal Bank of Scotland. Conveyancing lawyers as opposed to members of the public take out such policies.

When it comes to mortgage companies such as Coventry BS, do Gerrards Cross and Chalfont solicitors have to pay a yearly amount to be on the list of approved solicitors?

We are not aware of any bank fees to be on their panel, although some do levy an administration charge to deal with the processing of the conveyancing panel submission.

Clydesdale have agreed my mortgage in principle, my offer on a property in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont has been agreed to, what happens next?

Your property agent will need to know who your solicitors are (make sure the conveyancing practitioners are on the lender’s panel). Call up Clydesdale or your broker and finalise any relevant documentation. Clydesdale will instruct a valuer who will get in touch with the selling agent or owners to arrange a slot for the valuation to occur. Once conducted (assuming no problems) it takes on average ten days for the mortgage offer to be issued. Clydesdale will send the offer to you and your solicitors. The transaction will then take it’s course according the nature and complexity of the conveyancing in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont.

Will our lawyer be asking questions regarding flooding as part of the conveyancing in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont.

The risk of flooding is if increasing concern for lawyers dealing with homes in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont. There are those who buy a house in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont, completely aware that at some time, it may be flooded. However, aside from the physical destruction, where a house is at risk of flooding, it may be difficult to get a mortgage, satisfactory building insurance, or sell the property. Steps can be carried out during the course of a property purchase to forewarn the buyer.

Lawyers are not best placed to offer advice on flood risk, but there are a numerous checks that can be initiated by the purchaser or on a buyer’s behalf which should give them a better understanding of the risks in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont. The standard property information forms given to a purchaser’s solicitor (where the solicitors are adopting what is known as the Conveyancing Protocol) includes a usual inquiry of the vendor to discover if the premises has ever been flooded. If flooding has previously occurred and is not notified by the seller, then a purchaser may issue a legal claim for losses stemming from an misleading answer. A purchaser’s conveyancers will also commission an enviro search. This should indicate whether there is a recorded flood risk. If so, more detailed inquiries will need to be conducted.

How does conveyancing in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont differ for newly converted properties?

Most buyers of new build property in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont contact us having been asked by the seller to exchange contracts and commit to the purchase even before the residence is ready to move into. This is because developers in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont typically purchase the land, plan the estate and want to get the plots sold off as they are building the properties. Buyers, therefore, will have to exchange contracts without actually seeing the house they are buying. To reduce the chances of losing the property, buyers should instruct conveyancing solicitors as soon as the property is reserved and mortgage applications should be submitted quickly. Due to the fact that it could be several months and even years between exchange of contracts and completion, the mortgage offer may need to be extended. It would be wise to use a lawyer who specialises in new build conveyancing especially if they are used to new build conveyancing in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont or who has acted in the same development.

We're novice buyers - agreed a price, but the property agent informed us that the vendor will only move forward if we use the agent's recommended lawyers as they are insisting on an ‘expedited deal’. We would rather use a local solicitor used to conveyancing in Gerrards Cross and Chalfont

We suspect that the seller is unaware of this demand. If they want ‘a quick sale', taking such a hostile approach to a serious buyer is is going to put the whole deal at risk. Try to communicate with the owners directly and make the point that (a)you are serious purchasers (b)you are excited to move forward, with finances in place © you are chain free (d) you intend to proceed fast (e)but you will continue to appoint your own,trusted Gerrards Cross and Chalfont conveyancing firm - not the ones that will provide their estate agent a introducer fee or meet his conveyancing figures set by head office.

Last updated

Find out more about how flying freehold can affect your the value of a property.